Re: [Xen-users] uniq mac address generator

To: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] uniq mac address generator
From: "trilok nuwal" <tc.nuwal@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 18:56:29 +0530
Cc: Xen list <Xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 06:25:19 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
So we cant insure that genearted mac is 100 % uniq in the same network.
How much the possibility of getting the same mac address. Is it frequent or rare.

Any other thing that we can try to insure the 100% uniq addresses.
If we use the mac genearted by xen itself then Could we get the uniqness ?

I dont think so it could insure uniqness. Because xen also genrate the same way as easymac do .

If we change the easymac a bit for differnet users then probably we can achieve the uniqness.

Still Doubtful...
Thanks,

On 4/13/07, Petersson, Mats <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> [...]

It only needs to be unique to your local network - anything outside that
will not be using MAC addresses to determine the routing of the packet
anyways [AFAIK], so it's meaningless to aim for uniqueness outside your
own network (although it is of course practical to know that ALL MAC
addresses used in the entire known world are unique).

Of course, if you're on a large corporate network, you may still have
the problem that someone else uses the same easymac script to generate
MAC addresses...

--
Mats

--