Re: [Xen-users] Getting linux to boot under XEN

On Saturday 31 March 2007 02:14:22 Petersson, Mats wrote:
> [...]

OK, thanks for explaining that - so since I have an Intel-VT enabled
processor, I can run full virtualisation on it at reasonable speeds.

> > I've also tried to run SUSE 10.2, Ubuntu Dapper (GUI install)
> > and Ubuntu 7.04
> > (Feisty Fawn) Beta (alternate install) and FreeBSD 6.2 using
> > the same method.
> > FreeBSD booted from the install CD but the bootloader just
> > kept throwing
> > bootloader errors in loop.
> > All 3 Linux installers just showed a blank screen and hung.
>
> One possible cause is that the boot-loader for all those Linux
> distributions are using "big real-mode", which is essentially a way to
> be able to load data (or code) above 1MB, whilst still using the BIOS to
> read the hard-disk. Because Intel's CPU's don't support this mode very
> well in virtualization, installing can be a problem.
>
> You may find that you can use QEMU to install, or you may be able to get
> past it by simply using "nographics" installation (sometimes, the only
> bit of code ever to use big-realmode is the bit that loads the fancy
> graphics!).

I thought the Ubuntu Alternative install was a text mode installation? It did
exactly the same thing as the full install, so I might have to look into the
QEMU install instead for Ubuntu. Same for FreeBSD - it doesn't have a GUI
installer at all.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Cheers,
Ian