Re: [Xen-users] Is there windows version (windows host, linux guest)? /

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Is there windows version (windows host, linux guest)? / Question about license.
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 23:44:45 +0000
Cc: readytogo2 <readytogo2@xxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 16:42:14 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Hello, just wanted to ask two questions. I coudln`t find an answer on
> the web.
>
> Is there a windows version of xen? I want to download, install and test
> xen on windows as host and use a paravirtualized linux then. But I can`t
> find a windows binarry to download on the page?

No, right now the "host" (domain 0) needs to be a Xen-aware OS.  So that's
Linux or NetBSD (or the Xen port of OpenSolaris).

> About the license... All websites say xen is open source (GPL)... All is
> open source not just a part.
>
> I don`t want to be insolent but... Why there are paid versions of xen?
> Is there only the full source available for all versions but not all
> binarys? Only the starter edition is free and the enterprise edition
> binarys cost money?
>
> So, if it`s fully open source... What could prevent someone to create a
> fork and to provide binarys of all versions?

XenExpress / XenServer / XenEnterprise (which I think are basically all the
same software with various levels of features enabled) use a different set of
management tools (which are not open source) and provide additional benefits
(e.g. pay for support, paravirtualised device drivers for Windows guests to
improve perfomance).

XenSource and others provide binary versions of Xen.  Some alternative
management tools exist - Redhat distributes RHEL 5 with their virt-manager
app, for instance.  And Virtual Iron is also selling and enterprise
virtualisation product based on the core hypervisor code of Xen, plus a
different set of tools.

Hope that helps clarify things somewhat.

Cheers,
Mark

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.
Mark: My wheel has a wheel!