[Xen-users] Xen kernel prevents ALSA working

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Xen kernel prevents ALSA working
From: xen.mexon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 18:09:10 +0100
Delivery-date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 10:08:35 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I'm using Xen under Debian Etch. I've managed to get my virtual machines working and I'm happy with that. But I find that if I boot Debian using the Xen kernel (version 2.6.18-4-xen-686), ALSA suddenly can't find either of my soundcards (an AC97 on the motherboard and an M-Audio M44 PCI card). Everything else seems to work fine, networking and bluetooth and so on. If I revert to the stock 2.6.18 kernel, ALSA has no problems.

One thing that I thought could be the problem is the fact that I'm using a 686 kernel, when I'm running on an Athlon processor and really should be using k7. Unfortunately Debian doesn't seem to have any Xen kernels for k7 at the moment. But I also tried using the normal 686 kernel, and ALSA works fine under that too, so it seems like it shouldn't be a problem with the wrong architecture.

I've tried shutting down the xend server, but that doesn't help.

I notice that all the correct kernel modules for my soundcards are loaded. ALSA just doesn't see them, somehow. It might be that Xen has reserved the soundcards for its own use, on the grounds that it might need them to provide virtual hardware to its guest OSs. But googling around, it seems Xen doesn't even attempt to provide that kind of virtualisation as yet.

Anyone have some hints for me?

Thanks,
Mat