[Xen-users] losing network on pciback NIC in domU

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] losing network on pciback NIC in domU
From: Matthew Haas <haas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 09:54:42 -0400
Delivery-date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 06:53:47 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Good morning,

After reading through "Re: [Xen-users] Status of \"4GB byte count overflow hangs networking\"", I was reminded of a problem we've been experiencing with one of our Xen machines here.

Using the pci hiding mechanism, we've given a PCI-E Koutech PEN120 gig-E card to our NFS domU. Currently not running an active vif interface. The Koutech appears as eth1 on the domU.

Assigned an IP, and it is off and running. Everything seems to work just fine.. then after a while (sometimes we trigger it by exceptionally heavy traffic and usage-- such as continually rebooting many nodes in our cluster; although sometimes it'll go on for weeks without issue) network functionality seems to cease entirely.

The posts I've followed seem to be referring to a 4GB hangup on the VIF interface. So even if it isn't directly related to the problems we're experiencing, it is the closest mention I've seen.

xentop shows a 0 for NETTX for the NFS domU (which I guess would make sense if it is monitoring only vif0, and it isn't active).

We've been able to avoid a reboot pretty much every time by disconnecting the network cable from the card, waiting for it to recognize the link is gone, and plugging it back in. Everything comes back as if nothing was wrong.

The domU recognizes that the cable was unplugged and when link is re-established, but doesn't seem to have any knowledge that it had gone stupid.

When it is stupid, nothing can access it, and I believe xm console'ing into the domU, the network is also inaccessible from it.

Could this in any way be related to the problems others are experiencing? Some sort of 4GB thing?

I'll be keeping a look out and running some tests in the near future to see if this may also be the case in this situation.

Currently running a 2.6.18 xen-unstable PAE setup on a Core 2 Duo box w/4GB of RAM. Debian Etch is the distribution.

-Matthew
--
 Matthew Haas
 Visiting Instructor

  "Writing should be like breathing;
   It is one of those important things we do." -- me