Re: [Xen-devel] graphic card on domU

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] graphic card on domU
From: "Emre Erenoglu" <erenoglu@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 01:26:10 +0100
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 17:25:10 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Abe,

I'm not a developer. Nevertheless, as far as I know, using a graphic hardware with 3d functionalities etc. is not possible at the moment. PCI device hiding functionality of Xen 2.0 does not yet work for Xen 3.0, therefore you cannot reach the graphics hardware directly from a Xen DomU.

To have X in DomUs, there may be several solutions:
1) HVM Guests: They already have a graphics card emulation. Low resolution, slow.
2) PV Guests: You can configure a FrameBuffer for the DomUs and use SDL or VNC to view it from Dom0.
3) For any type of guest, you can run another X server in your Dom0, and use this one over TCP/IP for your DomUs (i use XDMCP). It is not that slow. You can even watch movies. I didn't yet try running Compiz Beryl etc.

Best regards,

Emre