RE: [Xen-users] NIST Net emulator with Xen

To: dgreen@xxxxxxxxxxx, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] NIST Net emulator with Xen
From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 16:11:58 +0100
Delivery-date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 08:11:33 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I don't know much about nist, I just spent a few minutes looking it up
whilst waiting for a machine to reboot.

NIST requires a kernel module for the network emulator. That module can
probably be compiled for para-virtual XenU kernel, which would allow it
to run as a Xen domain in Para-virtual mode. One problem is that the
document I looked at didn't show a 2.6.x kernel version of the emulator
module - Xen para-virtual mode only supports Linux 2.6.x kernels (x
varies depending on which version of Xen).

If that is not possible (e.g. the kernel module doesn't come as
source-code or no 2.6 kernel module), you should be able to run it as a
fully virtualized domain without any problems (as long as NIST only
requires a "standard PC", which is what the docs seem to indicate). Full
virtualization in Xen requires a processor with virtualization
extensions, i.e. AMD-V or Intel VT.

--
Mats