Re: [Xen-users] Whats needed for XP

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, jonr@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Whats needed for XP
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2007 02:48:16 +0000
Delivery-date: Sat, 10 Mar 2007 18:46:56 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Is there anything out there that would say what packages are needed to
> be able to do an install of windows systems on a Linux distro? I would
> like to keep dom0 as spartan as possible and only install what is needed
> for an install of windows. I have a pretty minimal install of Slack that
> will run all of my Linux domU's but am not sure if anything else is
> needed for windows domUs, is X a requirement, etc, etc?

I think the requirements are pretty similar as for PV domUs...

You may need SDL development packages installed and building the VNC server
might require some X-related header files...  but you don't actually need to
install or run an X server on the dom0.  You also need bcc for compiling some
HVM guest-related goop.

If you installed from binary packages, this should be a non-issue anyhow and
it'll probably Just Work (assuming you have HVM-capable hardware).

You can either use the VNC server to export Windows' framebuffer or you can
just use the SDL interface over SSH X-forwarding.

Cheers,
Mark

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.
Mark: My wheel has a wheel!