Re: [Xen-users] Strange Networking Issue

To: xen-users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Strange Networking Issue
From: "Martin Hierling" <martin@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2007 20:43:05 +0100
Delivery-date: Fri, 09 Mar 2007 11:42:22 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,
instead of eth0 or somehow my bridge is screwed up.  If I remove .242
below from the domU and add it to the dom0 it begins to work just fine.
I'm still trying to figure out how .241 is working fine from the domU
when it is a secondary IP and no other secondary IP's work from the domU.

Are you sure nobody else uses the ip by accident? Whats the mac address from 242? (arp -n). Is that the mac from your DomU.

Does anybody know if the public IP has to be on eth0 in dom0 for
bridging to work properly?

Public IP has to be on the interface where the public net is! Are eth0 and eth1 in different VLANs?

It looks like your provider set up another IP network for Dom0 and DomU. Are they on the same Layer 2 Network?

I dont know the exact setup of sour provider but the 2 networks you have are not fitting together.

Gateway: xxx.xxx.153.177
dom0: xxx.xxx.153.178 (on eth1, eth0 is assigned a 10.x.x.x IP.  This is
how my provider set it up)

dom1: xxx.xxx.154.240 (domU primary IP)
          xxx.xxx.154.241
          xxx.xxx.154.242

dom2: xxx.xxx.154.244 (domU primary IP)
          xxx.xxx.154.245
          xxx.xxx.154.246

Do you route or bridge? With bridge you need a netmask of 255.255.252.0 to reach the gateway from your DomUs.
So, you have to route the 154.240/29 network to your DomUs.

Martin