RE: [Xen-users] Win Xp 64 bit install

To: gaurav@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, fedora-xen@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Win Xp 64 bit install
From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2007 10:57:43 +0100
Delivery-date: Thu, 01 Mar 2007 01:57:20 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

What version of Xen is this? ("xm info" should give version number at
least).

Setting FFXSR (0x4000) is probably not "permitted", which also gives me
the indication that this is a AMD platform. Although, I guess setting
that bit shouldn't actually cause a problem as such.

It's much more likely that the problem is that you're using pre-3.0.4
version of Xen. Try 3.0.4-1.

> The last message "Trying to set ... " actually comes up just
> before it
> stalls.
>
> What might be causing this ?
>
> I have also tried to install an older Win Xp home sp1, which actually
> goes past the above messages (without "trying to set ...")
> but ends up
> in the famous black screen upon first reboot.

Probably same problem as above, try later version of Xen. The error
message about setting FFXSR isn't going to happen on a 32-bit Widnows,
as the 32-bit version of Windows doesn't use FXSAVE/FXRESTORE in kernel
mode anyways (unless the code specifically asks - but that's relatively
rare, so the saving by doing the "fast" version is minimal).

--
Mats