Re: [Xen-users] Re: Problem with automatic VM (domU) creation

To: Ligesh <myself@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Re: Problem with automatic VM (domU) creation
From: "Henning Sprang" <henning_sprang@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 20:12:01 +0100
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Frank D <mailing@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 11:11:33 -0800
Dkim-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:sender:to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references:x-google-sender-auth; b=UQFTO6QDgyUQ4SWO+4kg5EIzv2vAGZP/OhhJyNbjeJnIlcvWYE1pJz2aYIYqiWQB8Rsj2euGMRCKMWNoizwq4wEvBEs2sh9IwLwH7i4y23LEQnL8wyfg+rA2GoMGMbFWP1VHkUlkIN4U8BllfOG1n0RjVEDElFZZwrqB+uSf7WU=
Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=nofws; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=received:message-id:date:from:sender:to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references:x-google-sender-auth; b=D+RMF6ITuiQOn9JOHaxR5Y842mLxKXLY4IZV+0dchLpzGShMs3LXfGhcXWG1YvzqXD+BZ/P8Ldcy0PwT+xNj9lh+DgtzwyEdwrtv7ox7uWJ08X2QlZXcZqWSCpvnvBlWGd3KCc56ClKClXyP+lKpAm+5tb1wcIHj6wK80RgegsY=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 2/22/07, Ligesh <myself@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> but this is not Xen's job.

 And how's that?
It is not the job of xen:the hyperVisor of course, but it should be part of the
xen, the platform.

What is "xen, the platform" supposed to be? For now, I know Xen as a
virtualization software, not systems management software. It operates
on a totally different level.

And the Xen developers have enough to do to get this one right and
nice. You might have realized, it works well in many scenarios, but is
lacking in quite some areas of features, maturity, and documentation
and usability. They need to concentrate on the core virtualization
features.

And, why reinvent the wheel? As said, xen-tools do a good job with the
things the original poster wants.

From the "non-virtualized" world, there are many good management tools
that can do such a job, depending on your taste. Look at cfengine,
FAI, OpenQRM, puppet (I didn't look at the latter two myself yet).
If at all, virtualization management tools and system management tools
should be made compatible. But i don't see any incompatibility of Xen
with FAI, cfengine and others, and openQRM seems to target at
integrating virtualization ,management into systems management.

When each virtualization solution brings it's own proprietary systems
management stack, I'd need to manage my configurations in vmware, xen,
qemu, and kvm syntax, that would not be much fun.

Does XenEnterprise do this at least?

I don't care if XenEnterprise offers such a feature, I don't want
closed source/non-free software to tinker with my system config files.
I avoid it wherever I can.

Henning