[Xen-users] Poor performance with Fibre-channel in domU and dom0

To: <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] Poor performance with Fibre-channel in domU and dom0
From: Simons IT-Service <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 17:20:55 +0100
Delivery-date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 08:20:28 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello,

I have a server with 4GB of Memory, two Intel QuadCore Xeon CPUs and a LSI
FibreChannel 4GBit HBA Card connected to a SAN-Box.

When I install this with a normal Linux (CentOS 4.4) with kernel
2.6.9-42.0.3.ELsmp and the mptfc driver, which is deliverd with this kernel,
everything works fine.

I can copy a 600 MB file from one directory to an other on the same partition
in 6 seconds.

When I install on the same server a Xen-kernel (2.6.16.29-xen) with the mptfc
driver, which is deliverd with this kernel, the I/O performance to the SAN is
very,very,very slow.

When I copy in a domU a 600 MB file from one directory to an other on the same
partition it take 90 seconds.

The config file for the disk in my domU is this:

disk = [ 'phy:/dev/OracleVG/OraAdmin10gR2,/dev/sda1,w',
'phy:/dev/OracleVG/OraDumps10gR2,/dev/sda2,w',
'phy:/dev/OracleVG/OraProduct10gR2,/dev/sda3,w',
'phy:/dev/OracleVG/OraSoftware10gR2,/dev/sda4,w',
'phy:/dev/OraDataVG/pdevkh1,/dev/sdb1,w',
'phy:/dev/OraDataVG/pskh,/dev/sdb2,w', 'phy:/dev/OraDataVG/temp,/dev/sdb3,w',
'phy:/dev/sda13,/dev/sdc1,w' ]

The filesystem is ext3.

You can see that we would run Oracle 10g R2 in a Xen DomU.
We work with datafiles greater then 6GB.

Copy from a partiton to an other is ok.

Can anybody help us?

greetz from Krefeld,
Germany