Re: [Xen-users] No Full Virtualisation with Intel Core 2 Duo T5500 Mobil

To: Falko Tesch <falko.tesch@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] No Full Virtualisation with Intel Core 2 Duo T5500 Mobile CPU?
From: Karl Stevens <karl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 12:18:15 -0700
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 11:22:00 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Falko Tesch wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have some interesting issue with Intel VT CPU and XEN 3.0.2:
>
> I'm running XEN 3.0.2 on a MSI Fuzzy 945GM2 Mainboard
> (http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/ic/ic_detail.php?prod_no=4) with
> a Intel Core 2 Duo Mobile CPU (T5500).
>
> When booting the mainboard BIOS says it found a EM64T CPU, which is
> AFAIK the code for a Intel CPU with Virtualisation Technologie.
> But whether Linux nor XEN detects this CPU as a VT CPU.
>
> Who's right, the mainboard or Linux?

Probably both.  Intel allows the BIOS to disable the VT instructions at
boot time.

If the BIOS allows you to enable it (most manufacturers leave it
disabled by default) you will need to power-cycle the machine after
doing so (just rebooting won't work - the machine needs to be off for
the option to be enabled properly.)

- -Karl

__
---