Re: [Xen-users] Can Xen run 32, 32PAE and 64-bit fully virtualized domai

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Can Xen run 32, 32PAE and 64-bit fully virtualized domains run side-by-side?
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2007 11:51:00 +0000
Cc: Liang Yang <multisyncfe991@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "Krysan, Susan" <KRYSANS@xxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Sat, 10 Feb 2007 03:51:38 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Friday 09 February 2007 20:18, Krysan, Susan wrote:
> Yes, on an x86_64 host you can run a mix of 32-bit, 32-bit PAE, and
> 64-bit fully virtualized domains side-by-side.  I have also run 64-bit
> paravirtualized domains side-by-side with fully virtualized domains.

It should be possible to run 32-bit PAE paravirtualised guests side-by-side
with 64-bit workloads as well in a future release - maybe 3.0.5, I'm not
sure.

I'm not aware of any plans to make 32-bit non-PAE work on a 64-bit hypervisor
at the moment, but everything else appears to be covered.

Cheers,
Mark

> Weekly I boot up the following domains simultaneously on x86_64 host:
>
> SMP 64-bit SLES10 paravirtualized domain
> SMP 32-bit SLES10 fully virtualized domain
> SMP 32-bit PAE SLES10 fully virtualized domain
> SMP 64-bit SLES10 fully virtualized domain
> UP Windows XP fully virtualized domain
> UP Windows 2003 Server fully virtualized domain
>
> Once the domains have booted, I log in and run top command in the SLES10
> guests and Windows task manager in the Windows guests.
>
> Thanks,
> Sue Krysan
> Linux Systems Group
> Unisys Corporation