RE: [Xen-users] vcpus and cpus, plus cpu affinity = ??

To: "Liang Yang" <multisyncfe991@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] vcpus and cpus, plus cpu affinity = ??
From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2007 11:01:52 +0100
Cc: Daniele Palumbo <daniele@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 09 Feb 2007 02:02:13 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The BIOS (or some similar startup software) will "enumerate" the links,
similar to how PCI devices are "detected", and also set up routing
tables to indicate which device connects to what other device (you can
have a PCI-X bridge that connects to a "southbridge" on consecutive
links. The actualy physical linking of devices is hard-linked by the
motherboard designer. Also, all processors can access any other
processors I/O hardware by using the routing tables, as well as using
the links for cache-coherency. Finally, as each of the processors have
it's own memory controller, the HT links are also used to do "remote
memory reads", i.e. processor 2 reading procesor 0's memory via the HT
link.

> 2. Do you know if there is any CPU from Intel supports such
> kind of feature?

Not as of current - I have no idea what Intel plans for the future are.

> 3. Each CPU has three HT-links. Is the HT-link you mentioned
> the same as the
> Hyper Threads in Intel CPU? I heard most of CPUs only have two HT.

HT in this case stands for HyperTransport, which is a chip interconnect
protocol. See: http://www.hypertransport.org/

HyperThreads is a mechanism to make a processor behave like it's a dual
core processor without implementing (much of) the second core - it's
advantageous on a processor with very long pipelines, as it allows a
second stream of instruction to be fed to the core of the processor, and
thus reduce the latency caused by a pipe-line stall.

--
Mats