Re: [Xen-users] Networking not coming up on dom)

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Networking not coming up on dom)
From: Jim <jim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2007 06:46:56 -0500
Delivery-date: Fri, 02 Feb 2007 03:47:13 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Jim wrote:
I have two systems that are running identical distros as far as I can tell. One works just fine, the other doesn't bring up any network devices other than the lo ,eth0 and eth1. Both are using dhcp. The files in /etc/networking are identical on both systems as are the files in /etc/xen/scripts. I'm using the Ubuntu edgy xen kernel in both cases. Nothing in any log file that I can see that looks suspicious, syslog or xen logs or dmesg. The working hardware is an Intel 6300 the other, AMD Athlon(TM) XP 2200+. I can boot a FC5 xen system that works as it should. A debian guest boots fine, however with no bridge it has no internet connectivity. I tried to add a line in the interfaces file to bring up the xenbr0 device but that failed with a message "no such device".
Where is this magic supposed to happen?

Thanks,
Jim.

So the question is, how do I go about determining what step is failing?

I've been digging through the network scripts and have found the answer. I have two ethernet ports in this system and in the network-bridge script is this line:

vifnum=${vifnum:-$(ip route list | awk '/^default / { print $NF }' | sed 's/^[^0-9]*//')}

vifnum will contain a zero and a one separated by a newline. This causes the script to fail sort of siliently. I hardcoded vifnum to 1 and all is working fine.

I find this a bit surprising since I know there are people running multiple ethernet ports successfully.
So this is a bug?  If so, is it a ubuntu  or xen bug?

Thanks,
Jim.