Re: [Xen-users] [Iscsitarget-devel] tracking down cause of filesystem co

To: Jerry Amundson <jamundso@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] [Iscsitarget-devel] tracking down cause of filesystem corruption
From: Steve Wray <steve.wray@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2007 11:25:32 +1300
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 14:25:54 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Jerry Amundson wrote:
> (a rare occasion where I top-post... :-)
>
> I'm not familiar with open-iscsi, but how does it determine between
> lun's 0 and 2? Could you be swapping to the filesystem?

I have some udev scripts which present each iscsi target volume and its
LUNs uniquely as, eg:

/dev/iscsi/iqn.2006-12.fileserver:spamassassin/lun0/part
/dev/iscsi/iqn.2006-12.fileserver:spamassassin/lun2/part

These are consistent across all hosts.

> Beyond that, more is needed.. fstab from domU, and it's xen config from
> dom0.

Ok but the fstab is pretty basic :)

> Target recommendations I've seen include:
>        InitialR2T              No
>        ImmediateData           Yes
>        MaxRecvDataSegmentLength 262144

Ah well I diverge quite a bit in the R2T and ImmediateData settings, in
fact the very reverse of these.

I'd heard that InitialR2T No/ImmediateData Yes was mainly a performance
enhancement? Does it also increase reliability?

Thanks!

> [...]
>>
>> and the domU sees its root filesystem disappear and hangs.
>>
>> I see no errors in logs on the machine providing the target.
>>
>> The target daemon was not restarted nor HUPPED during these tests
>> neither was the initiator daemon.
>>
>> The network interfaces on the initiator and target show no errors, no
>> dropped and no overruns (according to ifconfig).
>>

>> My ietd.conf for the iscsi target used by the domU is attached
>> (passwords changed) as is the iscsid node config (again, passwords
>> changed).
>>

>> You will notice that this domU has been running spamassassin; I figured
>> that would give the iscsi layer a good workout since it was running
>> spamassassin for 3 seperate mail servers each with fairly high
>> throughput.
>>

>> I am hoping that there is some config parameter which I have set
>> inappropriately and that there is an easy fix as iscsi + xen would be
>> very useful!
>>

>> If there is any further info that anyone needs please ask.
>>
>> If there are any commandlines I can run to extract info or perform some
>> diagnostics to see where the problems are occuring, please send them to
>> me and I'll send back the results.
>>

>> node.name = iqn.2006-12.fileserver:spamassassin
>> node.transport_name = tcp
>> node.tpgt = 1
>> node.active_conn = 1
>> node.startup = automatic
>> node.session.initial_cmdsn = 0
>> node.session.auth.authmethod = None
>> node.session.auth.username = spamassassin
>> node.session.auth.password = password
>> node.session.timeo.replacement_timeout = 120
>> node.session.err_timeo.abort_timeout = 10
>> node.session.err_timeo.reset_timeout = 30
>> node.session.iscsi.InitialR2T = Yes
>> node.session.iscsi.ImmediateData = No
>> node.session.iscsi.FirstBurstLength = 262144
>> node.session.iscsi.MaxBurstLength = 16776192
>> node.session.iscsi.DefaultTime2Retain = 0
>> node.session.iscsi.DefaultTime2Wait = 0
>> node.session.iscsi.MaxConnections = 1
>> node.session.iscsi.MaxOutstandingR2T = 1
>> node.session.iscsi.ERL = 0
>> node.conn[0].address = 10.10.10.129
>> node.conn[0].port = 3260
>> node.conn[0].startup = automatic
>> node.conn[0].tcp.window_size = 524288
>> node.conn[0].tcp.type_of_service = 0
>> node.conn[0].timeo.logout_timeout = 15
>> node.conn[0].timeo.login_timeout = 15
>> node.conn[0].timeo.auth_timeout = 45
>> node.conn[0].timeo.active_timeout = 5
>> node.conn[0].timeo.idle_timeout = 60
>> node.conn[0].timeo.ping_timeout = 5
>> node.conn[0].timeo.noop_out_interval = 0
>> node.conn[0].timeo.noop_out_timeout = 0
>> node.conn[0].iscsi.MaxRecvDataSegmentLength = 65536
>> node.conn[0].iscsi.HeaderDigest = CRC32C
>> node.conn[0].iscsi.DataDigest = CRC32C
>> node.conn[0].iscsi.IFMarker = No
>> node.conn[0].iscsi.OFMarker = No
>>

>> Target iqn.2006-12.fileserver:spamassassin
>>         Lun 0 Path=/dev/volumes/spamassassin,Type=fileio
>>         Lun 2 Path=/dev/volumes/spamassassin-swap,Type=fileio
>>
>>         Alias spamassassin
>>
>>         IncomingUser            spamassassin password

kernel = "/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18-3-xen-686"

ramdisk = "/boot/initrd.img-2.6.18-3-xen-686"

memory = 256

name = "spamassassin-iscsi"

vcpus = 1

vif = [ 'mac=AA:00:00:07:47:AD, bridge=xenbr0' ]

disk = [ 'phy:iscsi/iqn.2006-12.fileserver:spamassassin/lun0/part,sda1,w',
         'phy:iscsi/iqn.2006-12.fileserver:spamassassin/lun2/part,sda2,w']

root = "/dev/sda1 ro"
proc            /proc           proc     defaults       0       0
/dev/sda1       /               ext3 defaults       0       1
/dev/sda2       none            swap     sw             0       0