[Xen-users] Passing kernel parameters from vm script

To: <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] Passing kernel parameters from vm script
From: "Reinhard Brandstaedter" <Reinhard.Brandstaedter@xxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 08:52:17 +0100
Delivery-date: Sun, 28 Jan 2007 23:52:25 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

I want to pass kernel parameters to the DomU and set environment
variables from my vm script.
In the examples this is done via:

dhcp = "dhcp" or
hostname = "xenhost-%d" % vmid
extra = "VMID=%d" % vmid

However I guess it's because im using
bootloader="/usr/bin/pygrub"
this is not working. I guess I need to boot the kernel directly to pass
arguments, right?
But nevertheless if I set dhcp = dhcp in the vm config file this
parameter is somehow passed to the kernel and to init:

[root@apache-2 ~]# cat /proc/1/environ
HOME=/TERM=linuxip=:1.2.3.4::::eth0:dhcpSELINUX_INIT=YES

the extra option however is missing and i can't get the $VMID variable
into my init scripts.
Am I doing something wrong or is this just not possible?
What I want is two identical DomUs (based on one common root-filesystem)
that use the VMID to do some "private" configuration during start-up.

Thanks,
Reinhard