[Xen-users] Removeable disk access from (HVM) DomU

To: "xen ml" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] Removeable disk access from (HVM) DomU
From: Derek <xen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 19:59:25 -0700
Delivery-date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 18:59:08 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi folks,

How do people go about accessing removable storage from within an HVM domU ?

Seems like for fixed devices like hard disks, it's easy.  You can either assign each disk (or partition, or LVM logical volume group) exclusively to one Dom only, or you can share them via NFS or Samba.  But for removable, isn't it more difficult.  I only have one CD drive, but I want to be able to access removable disks from all Doms.  I suppose I could mount it in Dom0 and share it via NFS or Samba, but that seems clumsy -- when it comes time to change media, you have to go ask Dom0 to do it for you.  Plus, can you even do that?  You'd have to unmount and remount a mountpoint which is contained within a region being exported via NFS or Samba.  Sounds dicey.  Is that allowed?

I'm sure there's a cleaner solution, and I just haven't tumbled to it?

Anyone?

Thanks,
Derek.