Re: [Xen-users] setting the path where xm looks for config files

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] setting the path where xm looks for config files
From: "Ulrich Windl" <ulrich.windl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 09:27:16 +0100
Delivery-date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 00:27:15 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 14 Jan 2007 at 15:07, Henning Sprang wrote:

> Hi,
> Sometimes it can be convenient to change the path where xm looks for
> vm config files.
> SuSE for example sets it to /etc/xen/vm, which I find quite nice. But
> they change the path by hard-coding it in the xm code - which I don't

...and the other thing is they ise /etc/xen/auto for auto-starting domains.
While
you can create non-autostart domains using "xm create name_without_path", you
must
specify the full patch for autostart domains. Which I don't like.

> want to make for my Debian package installed xen hosts, and don't want
> to do it on the machines where I use plain xensource xen.
>
> It looks in the code like xm could take some variable PATH as default
> instead the one that is hardcoded, but it seems not to be the PATH
> environment variable. does anyone have an idea if that can be changed
> somehow . maybe a config option in the xend config file?

Using PATH for configuration file is overkill IMHO. Wouldn't xend be the place
configure a configuration file search path, or is xm completely independent
from
it?

> The possibility of giving the search path with the xm create option
> path is not really useful - then I can also give the absolute path.

Unless you use an alias for xm...

Ulrich