Re: [Xen-users] P2V Migration of Windows

To: "Bill Denney" <denney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] P2V Migration of Windows
From: "Henning Sprang" <henning_sprang@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 22:05:54 +0100
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 13:05:41 -0800
Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=nofws; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=received:message-id:date:from:sender:to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references:x-google-sender-auth; b=hX8voSdW9H2jkVP7MF4ouA7+PCyyS2RhgGONUxGjjy88U6R9ZIyVPV7ZwmUUVFcpw8TUHVq/7v+0GocDgTb9GBnaWdQYJL7V/h+JTXTTNIrtbytYl1PzvHMbPXenJFVaKxHqGOLaEZlTpz3vEi1ipzmoTqh8NZtQv+qdlflb2Ns=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
BTW, I was so curious, I watched the leostream demo video.
Remember, they promise "Automated conversions without reboot"

Now watch their demo at
http://www.leostream.com/flash/index.html?v=p2v

This is really good for a loud laughter:
What's the first thing they do when the data has been copied to the
newly created VM? Restart!
What's the first thing after windows starts again, and realizes some
new hardware has been installed? Reboot!
Hmm, maybe marketing mixed something up: The Technicians  actually
told them they have something that "reboots without automated
conversion" :)

Sorry for being so sarcastic, but I look critical at such "no work for
you - just buy our stuff"
marketing talk. And that one seems to be really naughty.
Sure it's interesting to clone a system with just some clicks, but I
really wonder if you are not just better off with a system imager (in
case you don't want to document and automate your installation, which
is still my favorite).

Henning