Re: [Xen-users] Re: 100% safe way to backup domU: (was Yet another backu

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Re: 100% safe way to backup domU: (was Yet another backup)
From: "Emiliano Gabrielli (aka AlberT)" <AlberT@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 18:00:02 +0100
Delivery-date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 09:00:32 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Thursday 11 January 2007 12:00, Ulrich Windl wrote:
> when returning from the syscall the OS may still be
> writing buffers, but I'm not too sure about that.

even if the OS has flushed his buffers the disk write cache may be still not
empty ...

cfr man 2 sync:
According  to the standard specification (e.g., SVID), sync() schedules
       the writes, but may return before the actual writing is done.  However,
       since  version  1.3.20  Linux does actually wait.  (This still does not
       guarantee data integrity: modern disks have large caches.)

--
<?php echo '     Emiliano Gabrielli (aka AlberT)     ',"\n",
'              socio fondatore del GrUSP             ',"\n",