[Xen-users] Customising a Debian XGT template.dat file

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Customising a Debian XGT template.dat file
From: "Jon Eicher" <the_roof@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2007 21:55:15 +0000
Bcc:
Delivery-date: Tue, 09 Jan 2007 13:55:22 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

Does anyone have any documentation of how to create customized XGT files? (These are the files are on the Xen host in /opt/xensource/packages/xgt).

This is what I understand so far - the .xgt extension is really a zip file. The debian.xgt is really these three files zipped up together - root.tar.bz2, swap.img and template.dat.

I've created my own root.tar.bz2 by tarring up a customised debian install of sarge. The part I don't understand is the format of the template.dat file. I want three partitions - a root partition, a swap partition and a /var partition. I have a file called var.tar.bz2 that I want extracted to the /var partition during installation. So far it creates the partition, but doesn't copy the files. Has anyone else done this before?

Here is what my template.dat file looks like:

(xgt
 (xgt-version 4)
 (xgt_restricted 'true')
 (name 'Jons Debian Sarge Guest Template')
 (rootfs-type 'ext3')
 (description 'Jons Debian for XenEnterprise')
 (distrib debian)
 (root-vbd sda1)
 (root-vbd sdc1)

 (boot_params "quiet")