[Xen-users] Xen 3.04 upgrade success!

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Xen 3.04 upgrade success!
From: Tom Mornini <tmornini@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2007 01:46:50 -0800
Delivery-date: Mon, 08 Jan 2007 01:46:51 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hey folks. I wanted to deliver a positive Xen 3.02 -> 3.04
upgrade story.

We run Gentoo, and had used their Xen 3.02 portage ebuild
originally. We were waiting on them to move to 3.03, and
when 3.04 was released we decided to move on our own.

The upgrade went very smoothly. Our sysadmin Jayson took
his time and built against 2.6.16.33 (the default?). We
have some "interesting" networking involving trunking and
use AoE for SAN and GFS on top of that, and he didn't have
to change a thing, which made him very happy.

The big surprise for us is seriously improved performance.
I don't have numbers, and don't know exactly what is causing
the difference, but we can see a big "snappiness" improvement
on each and every website hosted on our cluster.

Very cool. Thanks so much to the Xen team for continuing to
push forward this very cool technology.

--
-- Tom Mornini, CTO
-- Engine Yard, Ruby on Rails Hosting