Re: [Xen-users] Install a VM's OS from Installation Source

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Install a VM's OS from Installation Source
From: Thomas Miller <tmiller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 13:47:20 -0500
Delivery-date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 10:47:25 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Ulrich Windl wrote:
On 19 Dec 2006 at 9:44, Thomas Miller wrote:

Ulrich Windl wrote:

On 18 Dec 2006 at 21:02, Thomas Miller wrote:

I have looked hi and low for some detailed, Linux novice level
information on how to do this.

I have Xen installed using SUSE 10.2 amd64.   I have no problems booting
into Xen.

I would like to create 3 guest VMs, all Suse 10.2 amd64.

Where should I start?  And thanks in advance.

What is your question? Should we tell you what you want?
OK, you want to read the administrator GUIDE available as HTML and PDF ;-)

Regards,
Ulrich

Yep been there don that.  It doesn't speak to this issue.  It explains
how to install from CD/DVD and from and FTP source, but not from the OS
sources already on the hard disk.  If no one wants to help me with this,

If you have copied your DVD to elsewhere, just add "elsewhere" as installation
source. I don't have 10.2 yet, but in 10.1 it worked like that. And it's not
related to XEN, do you agree?

The fact that the wizard doesn't work no, the fact that I am having a general problem finding any good information on the subject, wizard or otherwise, yes.

then I will stop asking and just assume you can't do it.

Calm down: So far, you have not told us what problem you are having exactly.
Starting to insult people here does not help you. I'm sure a lot of people will
discuss your problems in-depth for 150 Euro per hour if you prefer a professional
service. ;-)

No you haven't and I wouldn't hire you anyway.  Secondly, I am involved in 3 open source projects and new users are treated much better then they are here.

My motivation is several for being so persistent.

#1  I am giving a talk on VMs (both VMWare and Xen) at my users group
meeting in Feb and would like to be prepared

But you don't expect us to prepare you, do you?

Yes, I do.  I help people prepare for talks all the time on subjects I am an expert on.  I give free training session at our local users group all the time.  I give away free development efforts on two other open source projects all the time.

http://en.opensuse.org/How_to_Install_a_VM%27s_OS_from_Installation_Source
is blank.  If I am to write up this section for the wiki, I want to make
sure that I am accurate

AFAIK it's a WIKI. Just put your comments there (discussion page, e.g.)

????

#3  Yast in 10.2 does not work and the help docs in this area is poor at
best.  If I can figure this all out, I am hopeful to give the Yast

Then use https://bugzilla.novell.com and tell them, not us.

This is a bug, but I am missing a step, I can "feel" it and there doesn't seem to be any documentation on the subject anywhere.  I have looked for the better part of two weeks.

programmers more info on why it is failing so it can be fixed for the
next guy.  (I have already done this for the Samba wizard and I am
hopeful it will be working properly in the next release).

If you experts would prefer I give up on the above efforts, more then
happy to.

I am surprised you waste your time on this list at all without getting paid.
--
Thomas Miller
Chrome Portal Project Manager

http://www.bss-software.com