[Xen-users] Booting an existing Windows XP system as domU.

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Booting an existing Windows XP system as domU.
From: Edward Ing <inge@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 22:55:04 -0500
Delivery-date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 19:55:18 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I am trying to do something that is not clearly documented. I could find
little on the mailing list as to whether this could be done.

The normal documented way of booting an XP dom is to create a image
file.

However, I wanted the domU under hvm to boot a working XP installation
under another partition.

Here is my critical configuration line.

disk = [ 'phy:/dev/sda2,ioemu:hda,w' ]

This almost works. My dom0 is working and the domU for XP starts.

I see the emulated vga card bios info, the drive info,

But then the boot hangs at:

"Booting from hard disk ..."

That is pretty good, it seem like XenU is working but it doesn't boot
the drive.

1)Is it possible to directly create a DomU of an existing system on a
partition?

2)If so, is there documentation somewhere? I suspect that hvmloader
somehow has to run the boot record or something.

Edward Ing