Re: [Xen-users] CentOS domU vcpus ignored

To: <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] CentOS domU vcpus ignored
From: Mark Menard <mark@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 09:43:25 -0500
Delivery-date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 06:43:51 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 12/14/06 6:01 AM, "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx> wrote:

>> 1: The vcpus seems to be ignored. My domU always has one cpu.
>>
>> I have set vcpus=2 in my HVM config, but it always comes up
>> with one cpu.
>
> I think you need to set the number of CPU's when you create the BIOS in
> 3.0.3. 3.0.4 will have dynamic settings for number of CPUS... But I
> could be wrong on that.

I searched the Wiki and mailing list for "cpu bios" and "bios create",
nothing pops out as applicable. As far as I know I never created a "BIOS" to
get the HVM domU running. Do you have a pointer to something online that
might have directions?

>> 2: If I try to install in a 64 bit version of Linux in an HVM
>> domU it tells
>> me it does not have 64 bit support.
>>
>>> From my dom0:
>>
>> # uname -a
>> Linux mgr-1.vitarara.net 2.6.16.29-xen #1 SMP Tue Dec 12
>> 21:05:56 EST 2006
>> x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>>
>> This looks like it's running 64 bit in dom0. *shrug*
>>
>> Any insight or tips would be appreciated. I have been working
>> on this for
>> about five days now, and I'm about out of ideas.
>
> Make sure you set PAE=1 in your config file for the domU. Long Mode
> requires PAE to be set, and if you tell the HVM domain that you don't
> want PAE, then you don't get Long Mode either.

Thanks, PAE was set to 0.

Mark