Re: [Xen-users] URGENT help please!

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] URGENT help please!
From: Ryan Worsley <R.C.Worsley@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2006 23:26:22 +0000
Delivery-date: Sun, 10 Dec 2006 15:26:31 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
For the sake of archives that may help others I'm responding to my own question;

The problem was that the line;

vif = [ 'type=ioemu, mac=00:16:3e:00:00:94, bridge=xenbr0' ]

causes problems and stops the machine loading, don't know as yet what the problem is but changing to

vif = [ ' ' ]

allows the VM to boot, it's also worth noting that I needed to change the disk line to;

disk = [ 'phy:/dev/sys_vg/windows_os,ioemu:hda,w', 'file:/var/scratch/windows_xp_corp.iso,hdc:cdrom,r' ]

to get it to see either disk correctly. Windows appears to be installing - and quickly.

Thanks,

Ryan.

Ryan Worsley wrote:
Hi,

I'm trying to get windows xp installed as a guest, I successfully have ubuntu installed as a guest with red hat as the host.

When I xm create winxp, it says it has created the domain, but no SDL window pops up. If I change it to use vnc, I still get no window pop up.

My xvm file is as follows;

import os, re
arch = os.uname()[4]
if re.search('64', arch):
       arch_libdir = 'lib64'
else:
       arch_libdir = 'lib'
kernel = "/usr/lib/xen/boot/hvmloader"
builder='hvm'
memory = 512
name = "xp"
vif = [ 'type=ioemu, mac=00:16:3e:00:00:94, bridge=xenbr0' ]
disk = [ 'phy:sys_vg/windows_os,ioemu:hda,w' ]
device_model = '/usr/' + arch_libdir + '/xen/bin/qemu-dm'
cdrom="/var/scratch/windows_xp_corp.iso"
boot="d"sdl=1
vnc=0
vncviewer=0
ne2000=0

If I change the cdrom line to cdrom="/dev/hda" my cdrom does not spin up. I've looked in xm dmesg and xm log but I can't see any obvious errors. Will someone please be kind enough to tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,
Ryan.