[Xen-users] Re: hvm instance crashes when X is running

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Re: hvm instance crashes when X is running
From: Lutrin Jean <jeanlutrin@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2006 06:15:52 +0100 (CET)
Delivery-date: Fri, 08 Dec 2006 21:16:00 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I noticed you had SDL=1 in your HVM domain's
config file.

I've got several Windows running as HVM domain
as well as para-virtualized Linux guests.

I've done quite some install of Windows system.

In my experience SDL was buggy and causing
X to freeze: Core 2 Duo / Asus P5LD2 / ATI X300SE,
Debian 'etch' + Xen 3.0.3 from src
+ Linux 2.6.16.29.

You could try to use VNC instead.

That said I found it easier to do the full
Windows install using qemu (it's really slow),
then turn "remote desktop" / terminal-service
on in the Windows system, then boot it from
Xen.

As a sidenote some of the freeze I had weren't
complete crash:  I could still use the magic
SysRQ key combo to send message to the system
to do an "vga_reset" (a little utility I d/l'ed
that helped to reset the graphic card when it's
in a bad state).