[Xen-users] Re: Xen boot error

(reposted to xen-users, as xen-users is the appropriate forum for this level of question.)

On Thu, 30 Nov 2006, Surisetty, Pradeep Kumar wrote:
Hello

iam trying to build Xen.

I downloaded xen unstable tar ball and compiled it. I used mk_initrd and
created the initird. I booted my newly built Xen but booting stops with the
following messages and keyboard doesn't work. Can you give me pointers to
solving this?

do you mean mkinitrd? please post the mkinitrd line also post your grub lines

waiting for device /dev/sda7 to appear............not found
exiting to /bin/sh
$

What kind of disk are you using? SCSI? are you attempting to boot from /dev/sda7?

Most likely the problem is that you did not include the drivers for your disks in the kernel or initrd. mkinitrd --with=modulename where modulename is the module for your disk, I believe, is one way to solve the problem. Another is to re-compile your kernel with CONFIG_MODULE=Y (* in menuconfig)

(oftentimes I find it is easier to troubleshoot these sorts of errors w/ a serial console... if you could paste the boot messages, finding your problem would be trivial- with the information you are giving me, I'm largely guessing.)

also, you should mention what distro/version you are using. RHEL/CentOS doesn't like to boot at all without an initrd, whereas on debian or slackware, I usually just compile everything I need to boot into the kernel and run without initrd.