Re: [Xen-users] Time/clock issues with Xen 3.0.3?

On Nov 29, Chad Oleary wrote:

> ntp is to correct drift. It was not designed be the clock itself. If the.
> clock doesn't keep proper time, do you add more clocks to keep it correct?
> No, you fix the clock.

so what's your suggestion to fix frequency errors of cheap quartz crystals ?
and how about temperature drift of the crystal etc ?
soldering every PC main board with temperature controlled  oscilators
(or better a rubidium clock or similar) just isn't feasible for everybody...

> Ntp has it's place. But, it doesn't work well with a broken clock. Throwing
> ntp at this is inappropriate.

so throw away every PC based hardware ?  hmmm...

do you have any better suggestion how to synchronize a network of (e.g. build)
servers
(mixed Linux and legacy un*x) to a common sense of "time" with max. time
offsets
far below 1 sec over a period of weeks to months ?

Harald Koenig
--
"I hope to die                                      ___       _____
before I *have* to use Microsoft Word.",           0--,|    /OOOOOOO\