[Xen-users] xenoprof: daemon returned Bad address on DomU

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] xenoprof: daemon returned Bad address on DomU
From: Michael Le <mvle@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 18:59:21 -0800 (PST)
Delivery-date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 01:47:01 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

I followed the instructions from the user guide in XenoProf to setup a multidomain profiling session, but when I tried to do opcontrol --start on the DomU, i get back:

Using 2.6+ OProfile kernel interface.
Reading module info.
Failed to open profile device: Bad address

It looks like the function op_open_device("/dev/oprofile/buffer")
in oprofile/daemon/init.c is returning EFAULT. I checked and that file exists, I don't know why this is an address out of range problem.

XenOprof seems to be working fine on Dom0 however. The DomU guest is using the same kernel image as the Dom0. The oprofile module loaded fine, I just can't seem to launch the oprofile daemon.

The guest partition is a file backed partition and not the a real physical partition in case this has to do with anything.

Any magical incantation would be greatly appreciated.

I'm using xen-3.0.3-unstable and linux-2.6.16.29-xen kernel for guest and Dom0.

Thanks,
Mike