[Xen-users] Xen +Sise 10/2 +Latitude D820 Howto

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Xen +Sise 10/2 +Latitude D820 Howto
From: Art Fore <art.fore@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2006 22:38:15 +0800
Delivery-date: Sun, 26 Nov 2006 06:34:24 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Here is how I installed WinXPsp2 (Dell OEM) in Xen Kernel under Suse
10.2 Beta2. I later updated to RC1.

Machine is Dell Latitude D820 w/ Core 2 Duo T7600 processor (2.33 GHz),
2 GB Ram, 100 GB 7200 RPM Hitachi SATA disk drive, A04 BIOS version, and
a CD/DVD RW drive. Video is Nvidia Geforce Go 7300 with 1680X1050
Display.

I had tried Suse 10.1 (Xen 3.0.2) and Red Hat FC6 (Xen 3.0.3) both
32-bit and 64-bit installations. Suse, in both cases, would hang about
3/4 of the way through installion and only way to reboot was the power
switch. FC6 would lock up the same place, but only the virtual machine.

Suse 10.2 Beta2 did not have the YAST Xen module, so I done a manual
setup. I first created a virtual disk using the example from
http://en.opensuse.org/Xen_Full_Virtualization_Example.

#cd /var/lib/xen/images
#dd if=/dev/zero of=windisk.img bs=1k seek=10000k count=1
#dd if=/dev/zero of=windisk.img bs=1k count=1 conv=notrunc

Had problems getting that to work until I realized I had to uncomment
the boot="d" to boot from the cdrom image.
I copied the WinXP cdrom with ImageMagic to my harddrive and used it as
I had seen somewhere that Suse recommended this.

I then changed the disk= line as shown below in the winxp.hvm file.
After WinXP start installing, I changed the boot="d" to boot="c". I
almost fell over when the WinXP installation completed and it started.
Maximum resolution in WinXP with the Cirrus driver is only 1280X1024
with 16-bit color, not that great.

Other problems I have noted so far.
I had the NVIDIA driver 1.0-8762 with the nvidiahack.sh installed in
10.1 and Xen would boot into X fine. However, in 10.2, it will not
compile, nor will any other version of the NVIDIA driver in either the
default or Xen kernel. I comes up that it cannot determine the version
of the kernel. Have a feeling this is due to the fact there is no longer
a smp kernel by itself, both are in the defualt kernel, or maybe it is
because of not being able to determine if 64-bit or 32-bit.

When using an external display with the same resolution, the horiz and
vertical position and size are way off. I cannot manually adjust the
external viewsonic monitor for the vertical size. When switching back to
the Latitude with Fn F8, the display is cropped on both sides. Also
noted this using a Dell docking station with a 1920X1200 Dell 24"
display, but the external display in this case is also cropped on both
sides.

The D820 will not boot from the Xen LiveCD. It gets to a certain point
and fails because it cannot find /dev/cdrom. Maybe this is caused
because the CDROM is /dev/sr0 and it cannot find it.

The Suse 10.2 Beta DVD has the firmware test program option from Intel
to check if the firmware with Linux ready. The 10.2 RC1 has it also and
seems to work better, that is, more like the program if it is downloaded
from Intel. It show 7 failures, 3 warnings, and 8 passes from a total of
18. My desktop, and MSI motherboard with AMD 64x2 process shows 4
failures. It looks like Dell has a little work to do. The Intel program
can be downloaded from http://www.linuxfirmwarekit.org/download.php for
those of you intersted.

Hope this helps someone. Below is the .hvm file I use.

Art

PS: My goal is to run XP under linux for only two programs I use at work
that have to be Windows. Everything else, I can do in Linux, usually
better and faster.

#  -*- mode: python; -*-
#============================================================================
# Python configuration setup for 'xm create'.
# This script sets the parameters used when a domain is created using
'xm create'.
# You use a separate script for each domain you want to create, or
# you can set the parameters for the domain on the xm command line.
#============================================================================

import os, re
arch = os.uname()[4]
if re.search('64', arch):
    arch_libdir = 'lib64'
else:
    arch_libdir = 'lib'

#----------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Kernel image file.
kernel = "/usr/lib/xen/boot/hvmloader"

# The domain build function. HVM domain uses 'hvm'.
builder='hvm'

# Initial memory allocation (in megabytes) for the new domain.
#
# WARNING: Creating a domain with insufficient memory may cause out of
#          memory errors. The domain needs enough memory to boot kernel
#          and modules. Allocating less than 32MBs is not recommended.
memory = 512

# Shadow pagetable memory for the domain, in MB.
# Should be at least 2KB per MB of domain memory, plus a few MB per
vcpu.
shadow_memory = 8

# A name for your domain. All domains must have different names.
name = "winxp"

# 128-bit UUID for the domain.  The default behavior is to generate a
new UUID
# on each call to 'xm create'.
#uuid = "06ed00fe-1162-4fc4-b5d8-11993ee4a8b9"

#-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
# the number of cpus guest platform has, default=1
vcpus=2

# enable/disable HVM guest PAE, default=0 (disabled)
#
pae=0

# enable/disable HVM guest ACPI, default=0 (disabled)
#acpi=0
# enable/disable HVM guest APIC, default=0 (disabled)
#apic=0

# List of which CPUS this domain is allowed to use, default Xen picks
#cpus = ""         # leave to Xen to pick
#cpus = "0"        # all vcpus run on CPU0
#cpus = "0-3,5,^1" # run on cpus 0,2,3,5

# Optionally define mac and/or bridge for the network interfaces.
# Random MACs are assigned if not given.
#vif = [ 'type=ioemu, mac=00:16:3e:00:00:11, bridge=xenbr0,
model=ne2k_pci' ]
# type=ioemu specify the NIC is an ioemu device not netfront
vif = [ 'type=ioemu, bridge=xenbr0' ]

#----------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Define the disk devices you want the domain to have access to, and
# what you want them accessible as.
# Each disk entry is of the form phy:UNAME,DEV,MODE
# where UNAME is the device, DEV is the device name the domain will see,
# and MODE is r for read-only, w for read-write.

#disk = [ 'phy:hda1,hda1,r' ]
disk = [ 'file:/var/lib/xen/images/windisk.img,ioemu:hda,w',
'file:/home/afore/winiso/winxp.iso,hdc:cdrom,r' ]

#cdrom = '/dev/sr0'

#----------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Configure the behaviour when a domain exits.  There are three
'reasons'
# for a domain to stop: poweroff, reboot, and crash.  For each of these
you
# may specify:
#
#   "destroy",        meaning that the domain is cleaned up as normal;
#   "restart",        meaning that a new domain is started in place of
the old
#                     one;
#   "preserve",       meaning that no clean-up is done until the domain
is
#                     manually destroyed (using xm destroy, for
example); or
#   "rename-restart", meaning that the old domain is not cleaned up, but
is
#                     renamed and a new domain started in its place.
#
# The default is
#
#   on_poweroff = 'destroy'
#   on_reboot   = 'restart'
#   on_crash    = 'restart'
#
# For backwards compatibility we also support the deprecated option
restart
#
# restart = 'onreboot' means on_poweroff = 'destroy'
#                            on_reboot   = 'restart'
#                            on_crash    = 'destroy'
#
# restart = 'always'   means on_poweroff = 'restart'
#                            on_reboot   = 'restart'
#                            on_crash    = 'restart'
#
# restart = 'never'    means on_poweroff = 'destroy'
#                            on_reboot   = 'destroy'
#                            on_crash    = 'destroy'

#on_poweroff = 'destroy'
#on_reboot   = 'restart'
#on_crash    = 'restart'

#============================================================================

# New stuff
device_model = '/usr/' + arch_libdir + '/xen/bin/qemu-dm'

#-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
# boot on floppy (a), hard disk (c) or CD-ROM (d)
# default: hard disk, cd-rom, floppy
boot="c"

#-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
#  write to temporary files instead of disk image files
#snapshot=1

#----------------------------------------------------------------------------
# enable SDL library for graphics, default = 0
sdl=1

#----------------------------------------------------------------------------
# enable VNC library for graphics, default = 1
vnc=0

#----------------------------------------------------------------------------
# address that should be listened on for the VNC server if vnc is set.
# default is to use 'vnc-listen' setting from /etc/xen/xend-config.sxp
#vnclisten="127.0.0.1"

#----------------------------------------------------------------------------
# set VNC display number, default = domid
#vncdisplay=0

#----------------------------------------------------------------------------
# try to find an unused port for the VNC server, default = 1
#vncunused=1

#----------------------------------------------------------------------------
# enable spawning vncviewer for domain's console
# (only valid when vnc=1), default = 0
#vncconsole=0

#----------------------------------------------------------------------------
# no graphics, use serial port
#nographic=0

#----------------------------------------------------------------------------
# enable stdvga, default = 0 (use cirrus logic device model)
stdvga=0

#-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
#   serial port re-direct to pty deivce, /dev/pts/n
#   then xm console or minicom can connect
serial='pty'

#-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
#   enable sound card support, [sb16|es1370|all|..,..], default none
#soundhw='sb16'

#-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
#    set the real time clock to local time [default=0 i.e. set to utc]
#localtime=1

#-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
#    start in full screen
#full-screen=1

#-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
#   Enable USB support (specific devices specified at runtime through
the
#                       monitor window)
#usb=1

#   Enable USB mouse support (only enable one of the following, `mouse'
for
#                             PS/2 protocol relative mouse, `tablet' for
#                             absolute mouse)
#usbdevice='mouse'
#usbdevice='tablet'