[Xen-users] Dell PE2850 Networking Problem

To: <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] Dell PE2850 Networking Problem
From: "Simon Croak" <Simon.Croak@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2006 14:48:44 -0000
Delivery-date: Thu, 23 Nov 2006 06:49:13 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The background bit..

I have a Dell PowerEdge 2850 server on which I am trying to install XEN 3.0.3

The server has 2 built in gigabit Broadcom NetXtreme II Ethernet cards. (Using the bnx2 module)

I am running Debain, I can boot to the XEN DOM0 kernel.

I have disabled one of the network cards in the BIOS. (As I heard that there is a little confusion between dell and Debian in figuring out which card is which)

I compiled XEN from the sources using the linux-2.6.16.29 kernel

Now here is the strange bit…

When I boot to Dom0 eth0 gets an IP address from the DHCP server. But when I try and ping that same DHCP server using the eth0 interface, I get "Destination Host Unreachable", (when i ping anywhere infact - not just the DHCP server).

Ideally I would like to assign a static IP address to the server, but when I do that in /ect/network/interfaces again I get "Destination Host Unreachable". (I have double checked and confirmed with another IT admin working here that I am using the correct config)

I can also run "dhclient" on the peth0 interface, this again gets an IP address from the DHCP server, but when I try to ping the DHCP server on that interface I get no reply what so ever.

If i go back into the BIOS, and change which port is disabled, and then reboot the machine eth1 then gets an IP address from the DHCP server (just - it takes ages to get one and sometimes fails completely!), you can then ping places. BUT as i said above I would like to staticly assign the IP address in /etc/network/interfaces, as soon as I do that, again I can't talk to anything (ping or otherwise).

Does anyone have any idea why I can get DHCP addresses but can’t ping anywhere? I don’t have any sort of firewall running and ICMP packets are allowed on the network.

This is my first Xen install and I have fairly intermediate knowledge of Linux and Debian.

Thanks in advance.

Simon Croak

UPCO

Union Mills

9 Dewsbury Road

Leeds

LS11 5DD

t > 0113 2010 600

f > 0113 2010 666

The contents of this email are intended for the named addresses and may
contain confidential and/or privileged material. If received in error,
please contact UPCO head office on
+44(0)113 201 0600 and then delete
the entire mail from your system. Unauthorised review, distribution,
disclosure or other use of information could constitute a breach of
confidence. Your co-operation in this matter is greatly appreciated.

Every effort has been taken to ensure that this email and any
attachments are virus-free. However, UPCO does not make any warranty
to this effect, and is not liable for any damage done by an infected
email message or attachment. UPCO recommends that all emails and
attachments are checked before opening.

All views or opinions expressed in this electronic message and its
attachements are those of the sender and do not necessarily reflect
the views and opinions of The Ultimate People Company Ltd.