[Xen-users] Re: XEN sound emulation locks device exclusively

To: <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] Re: XEN sound emulation locks device exclusively
From: "Csillag, Kristof \(GE Healthcare, consultant\)" <Kristof.Csillag@xxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 08:41:54 +0100
Delivery-date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 07:06:12 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> As I think XEN has no "audio emulation", there's probably no fix other than
> using VMware that has an audio emulation.

OK, so I have the wrong idea about how XEN handles sound.
(I found no documentation on this, so it was basically a guess.)

Here is what I know:

- In the notebook computer there is and Intel HDA sound card.
- In the configuration file for my HVM guest, I have "soundhw='sb16'".
- The WinXP running as HVM guest sees a Sound Blaster 16 sound device, and can
use it.

Here is what I thought:

- Either the XEN hypervisor, or some user-space tool (probably the later)
emulates
  the hardware interface of a SB16 for the HVM host, and
- it relays the sound to the sound system of DOM0.

If this is not how it goes, then what?
I thought that since there is no real SB16 in the host in question,
the SB16 interface must have been emulated,
but from what you say I seem to be mistaken.

Could someone please explain this, or give a link to the appropriate
documentation?

Thank you:

     Kristof Csillag