Re: [Xen-users] UnionFS and initramfs

To: Otter <OtterzStuff@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] UnionFS and initramfs
From: "Henning Sprang" <henning_sprang@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2006 16:39:04 +0100
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 03 Nov 2006 07:39:41 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

On 11/3/06, Otter <OtterzStuff@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I am having problems with the initrd/initramfs. I am not really sure of
what needs to be done inside the init script for a VM.

Nothing special. You don't create a VM specific init script. In most cases you just use you distro of choice's deafult init script.

Since I have
never used a ramdisk with a VM. And I have never created an
initrd/initramfs before ( aside from using the generic
mkinitrd/mkinitfamfs ). Meaning I have no idea how to implement this in
the init script.

Depending on your distribution you just have to run something like mkinitrd, mkinitramfs, whatever.

You should read appropriate docs to learn more, but, as I said, there's nothing Xen specific - you only use a spcial Kernel, and define it in the VM config instead of some grub config.
 (apart of the fact that some distro's Xen support even use grub config files with pygrub).

I have placed all needed partitions in the Xen config something like:
<lvm volume with VM image> as hda ro
<lvm volume to contain the changes> as hdb w
<lvm volume that contains swap> as hdc w

Most often I don't configure full disks but single partition to be used by the VM, at least in paravirtual mode. so I mount lvm partitions as hda1, hdb1, ...
Never tried if inserting the whole block device into a paravirtual VM works.

I am not near the machine with the exact Xen config, but I can post it
in about 12 hours.

Inside the init script, do I need to leave all of the script that is
generated by the mkinitrd/mkinitramfs?

Why do you want to remove them? You have to try which ones you can leave out.

Henning