Re: [Xen-users] Xen test CD/hardware compatibility

To: "Julian Davison" <julian-xen_users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Xen test CD/hardware compatibility
From: "Henning Sprang" <henning_sprang@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2006 13:38:57 +0100
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 03 Nov 2006 04:39:37 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 10/31/06, Julian Davison <julian-xen_users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Anyone know if the Xen 3.0 test cd still exists?

I also  think it's gone.  I have no idea what link to the test cd fton Thomas means, it seems and even older version than the last one I got.

It's best to use the demo cd(nowe called xen live cd I think, the name changes every week or so) instead. As you can read below, this is anyway more exact. But yiou cannot test HVM compatibilty, or at least not without some tweaking (but I don't know which tweaking).

HVM compatibilty can maybe be tested withXenoppix live cd, but on my thinkpad t60 this doesn't work, but it works in hvm mode with the xen binary packages, and when built and installed from source.

Or is this something that's entirely Xensource-y and thus
I should be asking them?

They are responsible for the website.

But I already wrote them a mail some days ago and didn't receive a response yet.

They also still didn't take out a machine from their hardware compatibility list, which seems to have been reported from me running the test cd on a issam/clevo notebook (I allowed the test cd to send the results to the xensource server). The hardware list says this machine is xen compatible, but Xen never ran on this machine, not with the demo cd and with no configurations setup I tried, and I tried a lot.
They once responded when I told them about this fact, but never took the machine out.

It seems to me that Xensource's interest in providing good and transparent information for non-Enterprise Users, and people who are not in the circle of developers which seem to come from huge global companies only is not very big. (maybe and hopefully they are reading this and think about it).

Henning