RE: [Xen-users] Re: DomU guest - resize disk on LVM?

To: 'Robin Bowes' <robin-lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Re: DomU guest - resize disk on LVM?
From: "HAWKER, Dan" <dan.hawker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 10:51:30 -0000
Delivery-date: Thu, 02 Nov 2006 13:34:16 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> Gerd Hoffmann wrote:
> > Robin Bowes wrote:
> >> I can increase the size of the under-lying logical volume
> >> (/dev/vg01/lv_bah_vm) e.g increase it from 10GB to 15GB. But, even
> >> though I've resized the under-lying LV, the PV in the Xen guest is
> >> still only 10GB.
> >>
> >> How do I get the PV inside the Xen guest to reflect the increased
> >> size of the under-lying disk, i.e. appear to be 15GB?
> >
> > I think you can't resize PVs.  How about creating a new /dev/hda3
> > partition (inside the guest) using the new disk space,
> create a new pv
> > there, add that to the volume group?
>
> Thanks for all the suggestions.
>
> I have since realised what I'm missing: the PV/VG is actually
> created from a partition, i.e the under-lying disk is
> /dev/xvda, so I have /boot as /dev/xvda1 and the PV is
> /dev/xvda2. So, to resize it, I need to boot into a rescue
> disk or live CD and rezize the /dev/xvda2 partition. The PV
> should then reflect the increased size. I can then increase
> the partition size and grow the FS.

Are all these layers *really* required??? Seems messy to have LVM ontop of
LVM (even if the OS doesn't realise this is the case).
ATM for my Xen boxes I use LVM in the Dom0 and use this to create my DomU
drives. For instance I have Dom0 and DomU VGs in my Dom0. I then create the
usual set of LVs for each Dom0/U and make them accessible to the DomU in the
usual way (as sda1,sda2, etc, etc).

VG-Dom0
 - LVRoot
 - LVSwap
 - LVwhatever
VG-DomU
 - LVDomU1-root
 - LVDomU1-swap
 - LVDomU1-whatever
 - LVDomU2-root
 - LVDomU2-swap
 - LVDomU2-whatever

With this I can extend the LVs in the Dom0, and either shutdown the DomU and
resize2fs from Dom0 or even (tested on test VMs and low-use production ones)
resize online within the DomU. Works fine and I still get the manageability
of LVM within my DomU's without actually using LVM within them.

Just makes it simpler in my little head :)  or am I missing a trick here???

Dan

privileged information or information otherwise protected from disclosure. If
you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately, do
not copy this message or any attachments and do not use it for any purpose or
disclose its content to any person, but delete this message and any attachments
from your system. Astrium disclaims any and all liability if this email
transmission was virus corrupted, altered or falsified.