Re: [Xen-users] Xen-2.0.7 and RHAS 2.4.21

Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Xen-2.0.7 and RHAS 2.4.21
From: "Eric-Olivier Lamey" <eolamey@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 11:31:15 +0000
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 04:31:49 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

 Hi,

After having successfuly installed a test xen 3 on an ubuntu server, I find
myself struggling with the install of what should be my production xen 2
server, running on RH Advanced Server 3. I had all the prerequisites
installed, xen-2.0.7 itself installed, and I'm right at the stage before
booting the xen kernel.

 Is there a reason to use xen 2 on the RH server instead of xen 3 ?
I'm pretty sure xen 3 would work too (I haven't used RHEL 3 as a dom0
for a while though...).

My problem is that the hardware I'm using has SCSI disks, with a controller
I need to load as module; this step was just a breeze on Ubuntu: depmod -a
and mkinitramfs, add a line in the grub configuration file, reboot and
voila.

Now on RHAS it seems to be another story: depmod -a <xen kernel version>
throws unresolved symbols error messages, and the mkinitrd command obviously
does not create the initrd image.

Does anyone know how I can build my initrd image on this version of Redhat
so that I can boot the xen kernel ?

 I've had problems with the auto-generated initrd file on some
servers too. What I usually do is:
 - boot with the regular RHEL kernel
 - do a 'lsmod' to see the loaded modules and write down the ones
related to SCSI/SATA/SAS controllers and disks
 - rebuild the xen initrd with 'mkinitrd -v --with=<module-1>
--with=<module-2> -f /boot/initrd-<version> <version>', adding the
necessary modules
 - reboot and enjoy :)

 If you don't know what modules to add, you can send the output of
'lsmod' and I'll try to see what's needed.