RE: [Xen-users] Providing a Domain with a Device

To: "John Smith" <netman1@xxxxxxx>, "Mathew Brown" <mathewbrown@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Providing a Domain with a Device
From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 11:39:08 +0200
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 11:52:17 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Unfortunately, sharing graphics requires extra software somewhere, and
the easiest[1] option for this is a para-virtual driver for the DomU.

As Muli mentioned, for HVM, it's necessary to have an IOMMU to allow the
graphics card to be "fooled" into thinking that the guest's memory map
is the true memory map.

[1] Easiest doesn't mean easy! Graphics drivers are VERY complex beasts
- I worked for a graphics card company a while back, and the driver is
tens of megabytes of source-code (roughly the size of the i386 Linux
kernel with all the drivers and common-source code, but not as large as
ALL the different CPU-flavours that Linux supports). Much of that can
probably be "punted" (a Windows term for "let Windows do it through
simpler functions"), so in theory you could probably build a small
driver that only does simple things - but it would then be slower than
if you support direct functionality...

If you want a more difficult method of sharing graphics, try writing a
cross-domain (with multi-OS support!) cooperative driver - I'll come
visit at the mental institution, ok? ;-)

--
Mats