[Xen-users] iSCSI in guest domains

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] iSCSI in guest domains
From: "Mike Leatherman" <michael.leatherman@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 16:01:26 -0700
Delivery-date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 16:11:55 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi,
I'm trying to install Oracle 10g RAC using xen virtual servers and a Network Appliance F880 filer as the shared storage. I'm using Xen 3.0.2, kernel version 2.6.16u, and my VBD is created from a Redhat 4u3 distribution. I would like to use raw devices (disk LUNs on the NetApp filer) in conjunction with Oracle ASM to store the oracle database files. This configuration works well on standard linux servers, but I'm unable to get it working on Xen because I can't get the iSCSI initiator to work in the guest domains.

I attempted to compile the core-iscsi initiator against the 2.6.16U kernel, and it seems to compile ok, but I get "unknown symbol in module" error when I attempt to load via insmod in the guest domain. I tried open-scsi as well, but also receive errors.

So my question is -

can you launch the iscsi-initiator and deamons within the guest domain to establish iscsi connetivity to the iSCSI target (netapp filer), or does iscsi have to be started on the xen host (dom0). If iSCSI can be launched from the guest, which initiator should I use with the 2.6.16U kernel, and are there any tips on how to compile this initiator to work with Xen ?

Thanks in advance.