RE: [Xen-users] Compile error 3.0.3 - vnc.c auf Debian Sarge

To: bigfoot29@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Compile error 3.0.3 - vnc.c auf Debian Sarge
From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 18:56:22 +0200
Delivery-date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 09:57:38 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Inbetween 3.0.2 and 3.0.3 (exactly in ChangeSet 10742 of unstable: Add
access to monitor vt over VNC, Recognise Ctrl-Alt-1/2/3...) This change
added this dependancy on x11-devel package...

> > Hmm. If it takes 8 hours to compile, maybe you should
> consider getting a
> > faster machine. It takes my machine roughly an hour to build all the
> > necessary bits for a Xen installation - and that includes
> the time it
> > takes to download the linux kernel source...
>
> With my A64 X2 it does also take me not more than an hour,
> but I do only
> have that Celeron to mess around with. Its also my home server with 3
> running domains. Firewall, webserver/mailserver and a
> fileserver for the
> private net at home. - enough RAM involved everything seems
> to be fine.
> Its slow, but its working. :D The default kernel compile time
> took that
> long.

But you can build on the Athlon64 X2 machine, and copy the install
directory to the "play machine"... This is what I'm doing, as I don't
want to loose all my source-changes when (undoubtedly) the AMD-V machine
crashes because I've done something stupid in the hypervisor... Crashing
an ext2/ext3 disk many enough times will eventually cause an
unrepairable disk error and everything will be a mess... :-( So I use a
different machine to build/download the source code, and copy it acroess
when I've built it - I even wrote a little script to do that and reboot
the remote machine...

--
Mats