[Xen-users] Dom0 cause for boot failure

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Dom0 cause for boot failure
From: Michael Morris <mike@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2006 10:20:38 -0400
Delivery-date: Mon, 09 Oct 2006 07:20:58 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I had been running Xen with several virtual machines for a little over a month without any problems. One day my machine went down and wouldn't come back up. I was running Xen 3.0.2 on Debian Etch with AMD64 architecture and a kernel 2.6.16. I was able to get the machine up and running again by installing a new Xen package, and a new Xen kernel of version 2.6.17.

My first main concern is what caused my machine to go down in the first place. I have searched through the logs without finding anything useful. Logs just stopped coming in when the machine went down with nothing to indicate what had caused my machine to crash and then be unable to boot up. If anybody has any ideas as to what may have gone wrong please let me know. Please also ask any questions that may help provide an answer.

My second concern is that once I got my machine to boot up, networking didn't work on any of the DomU's. I had to manually add the xenbr0 interface in Dom0, where before it came up when xend started. Everything seems to be working well in my DomU's, except that I get complaints about having not veth0 interface in my Dom0 logs. I would appreciate any insight into why I had to manually add my xenbr0, and the importance of veth0.

Thanks for your help,
Mike Morris
mike@xxxxxxxxxx