Re: [Xen-users] Network based storage - NBD/AoE/iSCSI other?

On Sep 30, 2006, at 9:38 PM, Luke Crawford wrote:

On Sun, 1 Oct 2006, Harald Kubota wrote:
Ian P. Christian wrote:
I'm currently investigating setting up few Xen servers. I've noticed
that currently live migration of Xen's require you to use a network
based storage system.

Using network is likely the cheapest and most convenient one unless you happen to have
FC already.

If you are the boss, used 1G FC is quite a bit cheaper (and faster) than used 1G Ethernet.

Faster, probably (I'm certainly not arguing), but the big storage vendors have recently said that 4Gb fiber will be the top speed for years to come.

Cheaper? Are you talking about buying used FC disks as well? Because FC disks -vs- SATA disk is no comparison in terms of $/GB. It's my understanding that *most* FC solutions require FC disks...

However, most bosses refuse to use used stuff; and some people think that commodity Ethernet will scale faster than commodity FC, so it's better to just run Ethernet everywhere. (these people may be right; my point still stands that 1G fibre channel, bought used, gives you better storage performance per dollar than 1G Ethernet)

Performance, yes, but how about capacity? And just how much faster is it?

Here's an article suggesting 4Gb will dominate the FC market until 2010.

http://www.internetnews.com/storage/article.php/3627306

Something tells me commodity 10GE will be cheaper by then.

--
-- Tom Mornini