Re: [Xen-users] what do you recommend for cluster fs ??

On Sep 25, 2006, at 10:00 AM, Ceri Storey wrote:

On Mon, Sep 25, 2006 at 09:52:19AM -0700, Tom Mornini wrote:
On Sep 25, 2006, at 8:09 AM, Martin Hierling wrote:

setup is easy (about 1h) but my test szenario was: P3-1GHz with
Dom0 as iSCSI Target and 3 DomU as ocfs2 "clients" mounting the
same FS over open-iscsi. That works out of the box but under heavy
load the Clients get kicked by the heardbeat. That obviously was
because the complete network was fuff of iscsi traffic (bonnie). I
will test that in a real environment in about 2 weeks. will reoport
here.

You might get better performance and leave this problem behind with
AoE as it's much less demanding under very high loads.

I must admit that it sounds like you're running your frontend and
backend networks on the same LAN.

It's probably wise to use a dedicated network for storage network
traffic, because as you've seen, it can quite easily saturate the link,
causing performance issues.

It's also entirely possible that moving the storage onto a dedicated
network would bring security benefits, assuming you've taken proper
precautions (there's no need for it to have access / be accessible from
the internet).

These are all excellent points. We have separate IP and AoE networks.

--
-- Tom Mornini