[Xen-devel] Scheduling in domain

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] Scheduling in domain
From: "Ashish Puri" <ashish.xen@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 04:10:41 -0700
Delivery-date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 04:11:15 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

I have few doubts regarding the process scheduling in the domains.

1. In Xen 3.0 is guest aware of virtual time?? I see in the Xen 2.0 code that domain_time is present in the shared info pages. However i could not find similar field in the Xen 3.0 code.

2. If not, how is domain expected to do the "fair" scheduling/accounting for the processes running in the domain?? If vcpu is descheduled and later when it is rescheduled i see in the code that it will simply call do_timer() multiple times, in guest, to account for the "missing time" and update the jiffies multiple time. Also, the scduler_tick() is called repetedly. My question is: isn't this wrong, in the sense that process might not have run for its allocated time??? Am i missing something??

3. If yes, how it is used to do fair scheduling??

Thanks and Regards,
Ashish.