[Xen-users] Dom-U config: whats the role of vif - IP

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Dom-U config: whats the role of vif - IP
From: "Christoph Purrucker" <cp+ml-xen@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 11:52:07 +0200 (CEST)
Delivery-date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 02:53:16 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello,

in the example configuration-files I always read, that I've to add an
IP-Adress if I don't have a DHCPd running. I'm running in bridge-mode. For
example:

vif = ['ip=192.168.5.99']

But I don't want to configure the IP-Adress in an config-file on Dom-0;
the Admin of the Dom-U should do that with Dom-U's ifconfig (or Debian's
/etc/network/interfaces). I started several Dom-Us with

vif = ['']

and it seems, that they run quite fine with a locally configured
interface. And further on, if I change the above vif = ['ip=192.168.5.99']
to any other IP, the Dom-U ist still reachable under its locally
configured IP (and not under the new one in der config-file) after
rebooting the Dom-U.

So what's the sense of the above parameter?

cu cp