[Xen-users] Problem running domU over a diskless XEN

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Problem running domU over a diskless XEN
From: "Tal Maoz" <magogo200@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 18:39:41 +0300
Delivery-date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 08:40:38 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hey,

I have a XEN 3.0.2 hypervisor running as a diskless machine over NFS (booted using PXE and DHCP)
When I run "xend start" my machine freezes and the only thing to do is to cold boot it.

I found that during the creation of the xenbr0 bridge, eth0 goes down and undergoes a serious 'makeover'.
This, of course, is a very bad thing for me because as soon as eth0 goes down or cannot maintain the
network connection, my DISKLESS machine doesn't work anymore.

I temporarily solved the problem by using a second network adapter, eth1, and inserting it into the beridge
instead of eth0.

My goal is to be able to start 'xend' and run domU's with only one network adapter, the same one my diskless
hypervisor uses as it's life line. Can this be done? Is it possible to change the 'network-bridge' script is such a
way that the bridge will be created and the domU's will have a network connection without ever bringing eth0 to
a non functioning state?

Alternatively, can I configure some kind of routing mechanism to allow the domU's to access the network through
eth0?
Note that I'm also booting my domU's as diskless machines over NFS and using the same DHCP as the hypervisor,
so and they HAVE to be a part of the same subnet as the hypervisor (e.g. NAT/PAT is not a good solution...)

Thanks,

Tal.