Re: [Xen-users] Install from CD

Quoting Henning Sprang <henning_sprang@xxxxxx>:

> Please don't mail me personally, keep mails on the list!  Mailing
> lists are about sharing knowledge. (and read the current thread about
> netiquette now, please).

Read my post to the list, where I apologized to sending directly to you, as I
will not read said thread.

> On 9/19/06, jonr@xxxxxxxxxx <jonr@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > [...]
> > The second example sounds like what I am running,
>
> Right, without hardware virtualization you run paravirtualized.
>
> > so let me see if I understand
> > this. I simply make and LVM and then boot the install cd for the distro and
> > install it into the LVM. Copy the /lib/modules/2.6.<kernel> to my new
> installs
> > /lib/modules. then create a config file for xen to boot.
>
> No. Most/all distributions have a means to build a basic system into a
> directory from an already installed and currently running system(as
> opposed to from the install system on the install cd).

OK, that gives me a better understanding of what I need to do, I didn't think it
would bas as easy as above.

> Please read the Xen manual, and the Howtos in the xen wiki and on the
> internet, and come back _after_ trying to follow them, if you have a
> specific problem - they are too many to list them all here and it
> depends which distribution you use.

I have read the manual, the howtos and the wiki and have been searching the
Internet. I needed some clarification on what I was thinking and to help me
understand what I was assuming to be the way to do an install. I always thought
a mailing list was a place where one could ask questions from other users who
had more knowledge. I understand now that the xen mailing list is not such a
list.

Thank you for the help,

Jon