Re: [Xen-users] HVM systems review

To: "xen ml" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] HVM systems review
From: "Derek Sherlock" <derek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 15:55:13 -0600
Delivery-date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 07:16:44 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> You could replace it with a Q965 motherboard. Probably not as
> expensive as replacing the whole system.

If I have to, I'll do that.  What a pain.

But, before I do it, I want to know for sure that the motherboard is really to blame for my lack of success with VT.  Unless I really know for sure that P965 _can't_ do VT, it could be that I'm doing something dumb in my setup.  And, of course, the Intel literature is decidedly vague on whether the P965 allows VT.

In general, how do you KNOW if your system is VT-capable?  If it doesn't seem to work, how do you know it's the chipset causing the problem?  And how will I make a better informed choice, if I have to buy a different system to replace this expensive paperweight!

The only clear way I've discovered to check for VT is by knowing both the processor and motherboard support it.

But that doesn't help.  The only way to know is to know!  What if you don't know, and the data sheets are silent on the subject?  You can _assume_ the answer is no because the datasheet doesn't explicitly say it's yes.  But I really want to be more certain before I spend any more money on replacing expensive hardware.

Oh, for a simple self-contained stand-alone program that tests the VT capability of a system.

Derek.